Bruce Lee once said, ‘move like water.’ But back when I had a wonky spine I moved more like a brick.
I was hard and rigid in all the wrong places after years of strength training, and daily movement became a grind instead of a joy.
Deep inside myself I knew my body was meant to give me more than a mediocre life experience, filled with daily back pain.
It was only when my physical flow was heavily restricted that I understood the importance of it.
After learning a process to heal my busted spine. I realised that building a body that flows and moves better (internally and externally), is so important to enhance joy when you move and for life in general.
The more flow you have, the better your ability to heal your body from injuries, pain and physical restrictions.
So, how do you build a body that flows and moves like water?
Is it just by doing locomotion exercises, and crawling on the ground like an animal?
Or, is there a bigger picture to consider?
We’ll answer these questions and so much more in the video below.
Welcome to another episode of the Movement Monk Mind-Body Medicine Conversations.
In each episode you’ll get insights and practical strategies from inspiring people who specialise in health and wellbeing modalities. If you’re interested in improving your health and freeing your body from physical restrictions, you’ll love what we talk about below.
Simple ways to improve your movement flow and heal your body
In today’s mind-body medicine conversation: You’ll learn from a martial artist + acupuncturist (Alex Powerlett) about the internal and external aspects of cultivating physical flow and how it can help you heal your body from injuries, pain and tightness.
Be kind to yourself and take 30 mins to watch the video below:
The show notes are listed below if you’d like a detailed look at all of the topics we talked about.
Here’s an overview of what Alex and I spoke about in the video above:
- 2:10 – Who is Alex Powerlett and how has a life revolved around movement and Chinese medicine changed his perspective on physical flow
- 3:51 – Learn how Alex came to learn a very rare martial art used by a secret society within the Chinese opera, with his master Bruce Lea
- 5:15 – An important principle to move better and be the best version of yourself
- 6:49 – What’s the difference between modern and traditional martial arts practices
- 7:43 – Why meditation is so important to a holistic physical practice
- 8:35 – Why a personal physical physical practice beats going to classes every time
- 9:35 – How meditation and martial arts has helped Alex stay cold and flu free for the past 6+ years
- 10:47 – Why a slow approach to health and fitness often yields faster results
- 12:00 – What is Qi / Chi / Ki and why isn’t it as mystical as it’s made out to be?
- 13:41 – A principle to minimise your risk of disease
- 15:23 – Why it’s so important to address your mind as well as your body for more effective healing
- 15:49 – What is Shen and how can it be linked with most diseases?
- 17:00 – How standing meditation is a key practice to enhance healing and flow in your body
- 17:36 – What the heck does ‘flow’ even mean? Is it about crawling round like and animal or locomotion, or something more?
- 18:38 – Why true movement flow must be unique to you
- 19:40 – The arch enemy of flow in your body is …
- 20:23 – How better physical flow can lead to better life quality
- 21:21 – The body is a master plumbing network
- 22:03 – What is the biggest contributing factor to flow in the human body?
- 23:00 – Why linking movements together doesn’t always guarantee you have flowing movement
- 26:20 – What is the Horary clock and what does it have to do with the flow within your organs?
How to get in touch with Alex
Alex can be contacted for acupuncture in Melbourne via:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0438 057 326
- or at the clinic : Hawksburn Health, 15 Luxton Rd, South Yarra, VIC, 3141
- Phone: 03 9939 6887
Re-claim Your Natural State of Flowing Movement
Get effective principles and teaching to nourish your body and deepen your experience of physical freedom.
P.S – Here’s the horary clock that Alex and I spoke about: